DONKEY PATH HIKE
We started at 7am (which means a very early wake up in Dubai: 4am). It was just light enough to start with the soft ascent.There is a path all the way: still being used nowadays by humans, donkeys and goats. The presence of this path contributes to the fact that this hike is a light one (compared to so many others in the Hajar mountains).Our aim in the coming weeks is to make this hike a circular one. We`ll keep you updated.
AT A GLIMPSE
– Return trip
– Distance: 5/6km
– Visible path
– Activities: soft ascent/descent, only short bit of loose rocks, no deep or dangerous cliffs
DIRECTIONS AND COORDINATES
On the Jebel Jais road:
- Start at: N25 54 10.64 E56 08 00.08 (elevation 559m). Follow path uphill until you reach
- Terraced Field: N25 54 15.32 E56 07 29.28 (elevation 770m). Follow path and walk through the
- Settlement: N25 54 19.68 E56 07 23.73 (elevation 787m). Once through settlement head to
- Start second path: N25 54 21.80 E56 07 20.89 (elevation 790m); follow this smooth path until you reach
- Second settlement: N25 54 24.32 E56 07 04.45 (elevation 787m)
- End of hike is on N25 54 20.04 E56 06 56.34 (elevation 807m)
Total height gain is 248m.
DESCRIPTION OF THE HIKE
Why this hike?
- Great views
- Stunning dry walls
- Terraced fields
- An ancient wheat mill
- Remnants of Falaj (= ancient water channels for irrigation)
- Some beautiful Sidr trees and Acacias
Ancient wheat mill which we saw in the second settlement.
See below how this mill was being used.